Racing: Day 1

Hey solar fans;

Day 1 of raycing is progressing well. Eight cars made it to the track today. Besides us, University of Kentucky, Illinois State, Northwestern, and UT Austin, SUNY, and Waterloo have all been on the track. Iowa's battery protection suffered a major last night; they believe a lightening strike sent a surge through their generator while they were equalizing. Illinois has been on and off the track all day and is currently off in the cold pits.

At the moment, we are approximately 70 laps into the event, are are in the lead, although Waterloo is trailing us closely about a lap back.


All systems go, running 3-4 minute laps with Northwestern and Waterloo hot on our trail. Waterloo flipped on its side and landed on its wheels - no injuries and some cosmetic and little array damage. They are now dynamic testing to get back on the track. Currently leading by 6 laps over Northwestern and 20 over Waterloo.


End of First Day:

Minnesota ended the first day of racing with 169 laps on the official count. All four drivers were able to get some time in the car, and all three of our tire changes went quickly and relatively smoothly. We were well in the lead, with an estimated 40 laps on our nearest competitors, Waterloo and Northwestern. However, both of them were running near or at our pace for much of the day; a single incident could easily place either or both of them ahead of us.

It's not over yet folks, we've got two more days to go!

It's time for us to pack up for the night, as we've got to wake up early and charge in the morning.

Remember to check out our twitter during the race day for more frequent updates!

June 3, 2009



Still wishing for sunshine for you! Stay strong and race well.

Posted by: Jeanne LaMoore | June 3, 2009 3:46 PM

Oh man, I miss this! Great job guys, keep it up!

Posted by: Towey | June 3, 2009 2:46 PM

This is great! Keep it up, everyone. Is everyone from Waterloo ok? That must have been very freaky to flip over . . . Be careful out there!

Posted by: Jeanne LaMoore | June 3, 2009 4:23 PM

Waterloo had to go back through dynamic inspection, but later got back out on the track. Their driver was shaken up and had a few scrapes and scratches, but was otherwise fine.

Posted by: Adem | June 3, 2009 5:56 PM

Sounds like it's been quite the adventure so far. Glad to hear Waterloo is getting back out there.

I'll bet the tires are loving those 3-4 minute laps!

Posted by: Taylor | June 4, 2009 12:42 AM

Great job! Judy and I are so proud of you all. The 8 hour time difference means your day is over when mine starts. Wish I could follow your progress more real time. That roll over must have been very scarry. I saw one in Tiawan, it changes your view of CG management forever. Who would have thought that a lighting strike would be a solar car problem? One more issue to put into our design review process.

Posted by: Jeff Hammer | June 4, 2009 2:37 AM

Stay strong and have a good time! Has the weather improved?

Posted by: Jeanne LaMoore | June 4, 2009 6:08 AM

Go, go, go Gopers, go, go, go! Is anyone taking pictures? Please postthem, I so would love to be there with you! Go suck up that sunshine! Rayce away!

Posted by: Louise Somers | June 4, 2009 9:24 AM